The Friends of the Georgetown Library, in collaboration with the Georgetown Public Library, are raising funds to support the WOW! Words On Wheels Bookmobile service. The new WOW! service will operate year-round within the city limits of Georgetown.
From September through May, on a weekly basis, the bookmobile will deliver library materials to adults living in the Wesleyan at Estrella, Sun City, other retirement communities in Georgetown and to four Georgetown nursing homes.
From June through August the delivery schedule to adult locations will be reduced to every two weeks so that on alternate weeks children’s materials can be delivered to a school location, The Boys and Girls Club, Getsemani Center, a low income housing complex, and three City owned swimming pools.
The bookmobile will target three distinct population categories: seniors, residents with limited mobility, and low income children.
- Over 20% of Georgetown residents are over 65 years of age
- 48 % of students at Georgetown ISD are on free or reduced lunch
- The Bookmobile will have a core collection of 2,000 items – the main library’s collection will supplement the bookmobile’s collections
- Residents will be able to return all library materials to the bookmobile and arrange to have their reserves picked-up at a bookmobile site
- Once the bookmobile is purchased, the City of Georgetown will be responsible for the ongoing cost of the bookmobile.